May 19, 2009

A Tribute to Rem Dog

For many baseball teams, a local, former member of the roster who looks good on camera passes as a color commentator. They don't offer much.

Jerry Remy is not one of those guys. Rem-Dog is a beloved part of Red Sox culture with a wicked pissah Boston accent to boot.

Unfortunately, Remy is recovering from health complications suffered after cancer surgery. Watching Sox games isn't the same without him by Don Orsillo's side.

I've written before about my fondness for Rem-Dog's brutal honesty and blue collar charisma. Knowledgeable and funny, he makes the game interesting.

I always hope for a lopsided score, because that's when Remy lets loose. Watching him crack up Orsillo gives me the same satisfaction I got watching Tim Conway break up Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show. On Nickelodeon, of course. I'm not that old.

Get well soon, Rem-Dog. Red Sox nation misses you.

No comments: